Dum Aloo Biryani Recipe
Attention vegetarians! Bhabis Kitchen is bringing another vegetable biryani especially for you all. Usually biryani is prepared by boiling rice first then assembling and layering all the ingredients, but this recipe has no such hassle because here we are introducing pressure cooker to cook this biryani in less time. Serve it warm with raita and salad to your friends & family.
Ingredients for gravy:
|3||Ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
|4||Fennel (crushed)||½ teaspoon|
|5||Turmeric powder||½ teaspoon|
|6||Chili powder||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for frying aloo:
|1||Baby potatoes||7 pieces|
|5||Chili powder||1 teaspoon|
|6||Turmeric powder||½ teaspoon|
Ingredients for dum aloo biryani:
|1||Coriander leaves (chopped)||2 tablespoon|
|2||Mint leaves||Few leaves|
|4||Bay leaf||1 piece|
|5||Star anise||1 piece|
|6||Cinnamon||1 inch stick|
|8||Basmati rice||1 ½ cup|
|9||Saffron milk||1 tablespoon|
|10||Water||1 ½ cup|
|11||Onions (fried)||¼ cup|
Procedure for frying aloo:
- Wash and soak baby potatoes in salt water for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Now add soaked potatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Place the fried potatoes in a bowl and set aside.
Procedure for preparing Dum aloo Biryani:
- Soak the basmati rice in water and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and fry bay leaf, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- Mix all the gravy ingredients and pour the mixture into the pressure cooker.
- Spread fried baby potatoes, soaked rice and saffron milk.
- Place coriander and mint leaves, fried onion and ½ cup of water.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Pour the Dum aloo biryani on the tray and garnish with fried onions and coriander leaves.
- If baby potatoes are not available, normal size potatoes cut in cubes can be used.
- Avoid burning the onions, otherwise the biryani will taste bitter.