Bhabi’s Kitchen is cooking pulao but without meat. We are sharing a healthy vegetable pulao recipe for your family especially kids who often run away from eating vegetables. Enjoy it warm with raita, salad and Shami Kababs. Try it out and share your feedback with us.
Type: Rice / Main Dish
|1||Basmati Rice||2 cups|
|2||Garlic||3-5 cloves, freshly crushed into paste|
|3||Ginger||1 teaspoon, finely crushed into paste|
|4||Capsicum, Green Beans (matar)||¼ cup, chopped|
|5||Carrot, Potatoes||¼ cup, chopped|
|6||Onion||1 medium, sliced|
|7||Cabbage/Cauliflower||¼ cup, chopped|
|8||Tomatoes||1 medium, chopped|
|9||Green Chillies||3-4, finely chopped|
|10||Lime Juice||1 teaspoon|
|11||Cumin Seeds (zeera)||1 teaspoon|
|12||Tez Patta / Bay Leaf||1 medium|
|14||Cinnamon Stick (daar cheeni)||1 inch piece|
|15||Oil / Ghee||4-5 tablespoons or as needed|
|16||Black Cardamom (Bari Ilaichi)||1 or 2|
|17||Green Cardamom (sabz ilaichi)||2-3|
|19||Whole Black Pepper (sabit kali mirch)||3-5|
|20||Coriander & Mint Leaves||Chopped, to garnish.|
Procedure for preparing Vegetable Pulao:
- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes at least.
- In a deep pot (pateeli), heat oil or ghee and fry all whole spices (sabit garam masalay) mentioned in list until fragnant.
- Now add sliced onion and saute on medium flame to achieve uniform brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute then add chopped tomato.
- Keep frying on medium flame till tomatoes become mushy. Now add all chopped vegetables with green chilies.
- Season with salt and lime juice.
- Add ¼ cup of water and let the vegetables cook on low flame till half-cooked.
- Add soaked rice and using fork, gently mix them well with cooking vegetables to blend the flavour. We’re using fork to avoid breaking of rice grains.
- Add enough water to let the rice fully cooked. You may increase the flame as needed.
- Keep checking if there is enough water or less. Once rice are cooked, lower the flame and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some fresh coriander and mint leaves leaves before serving.
Tip: Serve hot with raita, salad and shami kababs.